ASAP is dedicated to strengthening community awareness through substance abuse education and prevention services to individuals, schools, industry, affected individuals and families residing in the State of Alabama.
The Agency for Substance Abuse Prevention (ASAP), formerly the Regional Alcoholism Council for Calhoun and Cleburne Counties was established on February 7, 1973, along with four other Alcoholism Councils in the State of Alabama as an affiliate of the National Council on Alcoholism. The purpose of the organization was to increase the understanding of alcoholism, its nature and treatment for the purpose of reducing the incidence of alcoholism in Calhoun and Cleburne Counties, Alabama. In 1984, the agency’s focus expanded to ‘substance abuse’ education and prevention services as the increase of substance abuse in the community and in the nation began to rise.
In 1987, the Regional Alcoholism Council formally became the Agency for Substance Abuse Prevention. Today, ASAP provides substance abuse prevention education and intervention services to: schools, community centers, Boys and Girls Clubs, industries, churches and a variety of other organizations and institutions throughout the community. ASAP also provides an after-school tutorial program located in the heart of the Barber Terrace Housing Complex in the City of Anniston, Alabama.
ASAP sponsors annual Red Ribbon Week programs and events for elementary, middle and high school aged youth. The agency also awards multiple scholarships to graduating high school seniors through an essay competition on avoiding lifestyles of substance abuse.
Position Title: Prevention Specialist (Part-Time)
Reports To: Sr. Prevention Manager / Prevention Coordinator
The Prevention Specialist participates in planning and providing prevention related programming services directly or through collaboration with schools, state agencies, community-based agencies or other organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services related field or equivalent in job experience.
- Familiarity with prevention issues, concepts and strategies.
- Experience working with the public.
- Criminal History check upon hire and every 5 years upon hire.
- 19 years of age or older.
- Training and/or certification as a Prevention Specialist.
- 1-2 years experience working in the prevention field.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services or related field.
- Knowledge of substance abuse prevention systems used in Alabama.
Essential Job Results:
- Responsible for the day to day development and implementation of the substance abuse prevention programs.
- Provides information and materials through a multi-media approach to students, parents, community members and organizations.
- Assists the Senior Prevention Specialist Manager/Prevention Coordinator in community activities and events.
- Completes all written and online reports to maintain contract compliance.
- Engages and supports ASAP’s strategic planning process.
- Assists with training others in provision of prevention programming.
- Attends meetings and provides written reports as required.
- Ability to work varied schedules as needed, including evenings and weekends.
- Other duties as assigned.
Resumes should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Agency for Substance Abuse Prevention
Attn: Seyram Selase
1128 Edmar Street Suite A
Oxford, AL 36203